Sake Club November 2022 Lineup
All Koji Sake
ALL KOJI is Sequoia’s second round at this style of sake and we feel we have improved upon it. To produce this sake, we needed to use the Koji room for a full two weeks. This is the same time required to produce a full batch and this was only a quarter batch. This is because we are using 100 % koji rice whereas normal sake uses only a small percentage of Koji rice and mostly plain steamed rice. Only a handful of Japanese sake producers make this and usually in very limited special releases. There are many special properties we love about this style; more flavorful and intense, works better with rich foods, it is also often used as the base for aged sake (koshu). The last time we made All Koji sake was back in 2019. If you had saved it, now is the time to open it. We did and it has aged fine with very sophisticated flavors and aromas that melt away
Koji is a fungus used to convert the starch of rice into sugar and is considered the most critical and labor-intensive part of sake-making. A typical batch of sake uses only 20% Koji rice with the remaining 80% plain steamed rice. All Koji Sake is made with 100% Koji rice, giving it unique and intense flavors. We taste raspberry, licorice, and a hint of forest in this special bottle.
SERVE CHILLED or ROOM Temperature / Alc.: 14 -15% / SMV: +3
Sparkling Yuzu Sake
Sparkling sake is back, and even better than before we infused it with yuzu! Each year we strive hard to perfect our sparkling sake. This year is no exception, Noriko searched to find the best yuzu we could buy to make this 100% authentic yuzu juice from Japan. We went that extra mile and flew to Japan to get the top of the top premium yuzu juice. Using this premium yuzu, we infused it into our semi-sweet sake, bringing forth a crispness surrounded by tiny bubbles giving it a Champaign-like appearance. Noriko wanted to enhance this flavor not to overpower it with yuzu. We believe this has been achieved, giving this sparkling sake a lighter, more fruit-forward taste and a bit on the brute side. We tested it with turkey, which it goes wonderfully with, and the apple pie worked as well.
REFRIGERATION RECOMMENDED / Alc.: 14-15% / SMV: -12
Coastal Genshu Sake
Coastal Genshu Sake This is one of our favorites for this time of the year. Its floral aroma and nutty flavors lend themselves perfectly to warming it up to enjoy hot sake. The key to warming sake, especially Junmai Ginjo sake like our Coastal Genshu, is to not heat it too much. Generally, it is not good to go over 140F (60C) when warming sake, for this sake we recommend staying at or under 122f (50C) when warming our Coastal Genshu as extreme heat can take away the delicate aromas and flavors. The key point, as long as you stay in that recommended temperature range, warming sake can be a great way to bring out different flavors of the sake that might not be obvious when served chill.
To make hot sake, first pour your sake into a tokkuri, a carafe, or a ceramic cup covered with some foil or plastic wrap. Place the container with sake in a pot and add enough water to cover more than half of the container. Take the sake out and boil the water. Turn the heat off once it boils and put the container with sake back in and wait for it to warm up to your desired temperature. This is a lot easier if you have a food thermometer, but if you don’t, there are signs you can look for to gauge whether it’s ready or not. The first detail is how warm the container feels; it is about ready when the top feels lukewarm and the bottom feels hot to the touch. This should only take a couple of minutes at most. Pour some out and taste it; it should feel warm, but not hot like hot tea. It is always better to take it out too early and then stick it back in the hot water bath to warm it up more than to heat it too much. We also have a video explaining how to make hot sake for those who would like to learn more.
The buttery tones will change with each target. The vanilla and nutty tones will drift in and out with each temperature change. Hold the glass close to your nose and inhale those delicate aromas as they drift up.
Food Pairing. This is also best served with small bites. However, unlike Holiday Sake, this sake goes better with more flavorful foods; Chicken wings, sour cream and cucumber, devilled eggs, and such. Be creative and invent a dish that fits you and the sake.
SERVE WARMED / Alc.: 17-18% / SMV: +7